This Sunday spaghetti sauce is a weekly tradition in our house. Whether it's served with pasta, the base for a pizza sauce, or the base for a caponata, this sauce is incredibly versatile. The secret ingredient here are the grated carrots that bring a touch of sweetness and texture to the sauce. This sauce takes about 1 hour to cook including prep time. Be sure to splurge and use San Marzano tomatoes rather than generic whole peeled canned tomatoes.
Spaghetti Sauce Serves 6-8
2, 28oz cans of San Marzano Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 carrots grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh basil roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance or vegan butter spread
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 boxes linguine cooked al dente
- Sliced sourdough bread
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 clove of raw garlic
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until browned on the edges, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic, grated carrots, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes and stir.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Take off heat. Add butter, chopped basil, and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Put all vegan parmesan ingredients together in a food processor. Pulse for 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with pasta, fresh bread, and vegan parmesan.