We all have our go-to recipes. Those tried and true soups, stews, and entrees that we’ve performed countless times. These are the recipes that come together quickly, utilize pantry staples, and are just downright good. This sweet potato chickpea curry is one of those recipes.
Recently, I accepted a new job offer (that’s right, job #3 in the past year) and with every new opportunity comes new challenges. For the past couple of jobs, I’ve done my best to prepare for my new roles with books, tutorials, and videos geared towards the upcoming job. So, I guess with new career opportunities comes opportunities to learn, grow, and delve into unexplored territory.
That being said, I’ve had a yearning to read more, learn more, and challenge myself creatively again.
Here are a few things that I’m tackling at the moment:
- I’ve read a couple of books in the week on leadership, specifically “Lean In” and “Leaders Eat Last.” I truly believe that being in a senior role is a chance to use your vast experience to help others.
- Got a few books on branding (also taking recommendations btw) “The Brand Gap” to go along with my new role as Senior Visual Brand Designer.
- We got a new camera. I started taking photography lessons online to improve the blog.
- After taking a year off from racing, we decided to come back this year and do a few 1/2 marathons and possibly 1 marathon. We’re slowly, but surely getting back into shape.
- Starting a new food typography project this weekend :)
Now, I know what you’re thinking…What does learning new stuff and tackling new challenges have to do with sweet potato curry? Well, with all these new projects I’m kinda strapped on time. This go-to recipe is not only healthy satisfying brain food, but it comes together in just 30-minutes. Not to mention we also get leftovers for a couple of days, which allows for more time for activities like the ones listed above.
I sincerely hope you add it to your weekday rotation and it allows your to not only eat healthily, but to achieve some goals of your own with all of this newfound time on your hands.
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2, 15 oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- 2 sweet potatoes roughly chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can whole San Marzano Tomatoes
- 4 cups spinach
- 2 inch knob of ginger, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thai Chilis diced (optional)
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Rice on the side
- Over medium-high heat, warm olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onions and sauté until edges have browned. Add garlic and ginger. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add cumin seeds and salt. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas, chopped sweet potatoes, tomatoes, curry powder and coconut milk. Stir to combine. Bring to a bowl then turn the heat down to medium-low. Let cook for 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes have softened. Add in spinach and cook for an additional couple of minutes until it has wilted into the stew.
- Serve stew with rice on the side and top with chilis (for a little kick) and cilantro.