This is probably one of my favorite snowy day meals. Comforting gravy mixed with heart root vegetables and a crispy puff pastry topping make this 1-dish meal ready in just 40 minutes. This veganized meal is rich, so it's best served with a side salad or some steamed broccoli to balance everything out.
Root Vegetable Pot Pie:
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2-3 small potatoes chopped (I used red and white)
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 small celery root, peeled and chopped
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar + juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups of homemade or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 sheet defrosted Puff Pastry
- 2 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots, celery, and carrots to skillet. Cook until browned on the edges, about 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped turnip, parsnips, celery root, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until edges become browned, about 10 minutes.
- Pour red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and lemon juice over vegetables, scrapping up any burnt bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables. Stir to combine. Add vegetable broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Add thyme, oregano, and parsley to mix. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lightly stretch the puff pastry over the skillet. Poke the pastry with a fork. Brush puff pastry with non-dairy milk.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted vegan butter.