Wow, I can’t believe it’s been almost 9 months since I’ve last wrote anything in here. We’ve been settling into our new home in Chicago, getting used to our new jobs, and planning for our wedding (which happened last month on Dec. 23, 2017)! That’s right I’m Sam James now, the girl with two first names.
One of my new years resolutions was to start blogging again. Sometimes you get occupied with other life activities like moving, finding a new job, or getting married, but it’s nice find your way back to the hobbies that you love. With a new Nikon D7200, some new photo styling props, and a new perspective on blogging, I hope to continue exploring new recipes and posting them for you guys to also try out.
The first recipe I chose for 2018 is one that is easy and makes use of the versatile plant-based meat substitute jackfruit. There’s something really great about pulled jackfruit’s texture. It’s very similar to pulled pork and has a meaty, satisfying quality about it. I’ve used jackfruit for bbq sandwiches, in enchiladas and of course, tacos. You can find it at most Asian markets or on Amazon. I’ve seen at some grocery stores, but you’ll have the best luck at a specialty store.
Another interesting ingredient I use in this is the Korean hot-pepper paste gochujang, which you can find on Amazon or at any Asian market. It has that spicy, umami flavor that is absolutely delicious. In addition to using gochujang in these tacos, you can also use it in stir-fry’s, stews, and soups for an extra kick. I really love this ingredient and a tub only costs about $5.
The slaw balances out the spiciness of the tacos with a sweet and sour crunch. If you’re watching your carbs and prefer to eat the tacos sans-tortillas, the slaw and the taco “meat” filling are great on their own.
Korean Jackfruit Tacos
- 2 cans of young jackfruit in brine, drained and pulled apart
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 1-2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Cabbage & Carrot Slaw
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion
- 5 red radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- Juice from 2 limes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- dash of sugar
- Heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in sliced onion and sauté for about 8 minutes until browned and slightly charred on the edges. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the gochujang, rice vinegar, soy sauce, agave, and 1/2 cup water together.
- Add in jackfruit and gochujang mixture. Cook for 30 minutes until slightly charred on the edges, stirring occasionally.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, start working on the slaw by combining the slaw dressing ingredients until smooth. Combine all slaw veggies and dressing together into one bowl. Let sit until jackfruit is done cooking.
- Warm up tortillas in a pan until they are slightly stiff.
- Top tortillas with jackfruit mixture, slaw, and extra cilantro and lime juice.