Big announcement alert!
We are incredibly excited to announce the launch of our FREE 5 recipe downloadable PDF with a few of our favorite quick and easy plant-based recipes. To receive these recipes, it’s as easy as subscribing to our email list. We won’t spam your inbox with daily emails – just one update a week and this free downloadable PDF.
Who doesn't like free stuff?
Want in on this? Of course you do!
1. Subscribe by putting your email in the form on the right side of the Kale Yeah, It's Vegan site.
2. You will get a confirmation email.
3. After confirming your subscription, you will receive a second email with the download link that will lead you to this screen. Just click the link and you'll start downloading!
This recipe guide/eCookbook was super fun to make and we hope to come out with a new downloadable guide every couple of months, so sign up for our email list and stay tuned. Let us know what you think about the our downloadable PDF in the comments section below! :D
Okay, on to the Jamaican curried lentils.
Let's be honest.
Easy recipes are crucial to eating healthy during the work week. Although you guys might see all the pretty pictures we post on Instagram, the majority of the meals we're fixing up Monday through Friday are easy lentil/bean/mixed vegetables with rice or pasta. In fact, we get so pressed for time at the end of the day that we prep a lot of our meals on Sunday's.
#mealprepsunday Am I right?
I'm on my 4th marathon training cycle, but it's still so dang hard. Running 5-8 miles, 3x during work days leaves us with just a few minutes at night to cook or reheat food. Most nights after working full-time and running, we don't get done until 8:30 or 9pm, and you can bet we're going to want something satisfying, nutritious and freakin' delicious.
This recipe is inspired by a vegan Jamaican soul food vendor at our local Saturday market. He serves amazing pumpkin soups, a veggie superfood loaf ( I swear the secret ingredient is magic and unicorn tears), slow-cooked greens, and curried Lima bean soup.
We wanted to make a version of this curried bean soup at home, but switch it up with green lentils. Use whatever bean you've got at home. This lentil stew is incredibly hearty and warming. It's made with inflammation reducing turmeric and ginger, perfect for your post workout meal. We hope you enjoy this thick and delicious dish that's ready in just 30 minutes. Don't forget to serve it with a big bowl of brown rice. Enjoy!
Jamaican Curried Lentils
1 small onion chopped
½ small green or orange pepper chopped
1 medium tomato chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 inch fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbs curry mild powder
1 jalapeno, finely chopped and deseeded (add seeds if you like it hot!)
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups water + more if you want a more soup-like dish
1 cup green lentils, washed and picked over
1. Heat coconut oil in pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add peppers, tomato, ginger and turmeric. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes to soften vegetables.
2. Add curry powder, coriander, cumin, and salt. Stir to combine. Add lentils and water. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low-medium, and let simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils soften.
3. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with a side of brown rice.