Can you tell we’re excited about Christmas! Delicious food, jazzy Christmas jams, old fashioned’s, and of course, family. Luckily, marrying into cool families on either side makes for a pretty amazing holiday season.
I think there’s one thing we can all agree upon here – With every holiday meal there needs to be at least one potato dish. The scalloped potatoes of Christmas past with their decadent, buttery cheesy magic sauce was often my mother’s potato dish of choice. Although she hasn’t made this in years, we wanted to do a little tribute to Mama Willey’s scalloped potatoes with a veganized version. Trust me, with all this flavor, you won’t even miss the cheese.
One thing I’ve noticed about these holiday meals is that while all the dishes are oh-so-comforting, they are all sort of…mushy. To balance out all the soft foods, this potato roast is just baked until golden brown and crunchy on the top. Yum!
Try this easy side dish if you’re still looking to fill that vegan potato spot at the table.
Happy Holidays from Luke and Sam!
Crispy Potato Roast
- 4lbs russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp non-dairy, vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, stems discarded and chopped
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves separated from stems, stems discarded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Using some of the vegan butter, grease the edges of your pan.
- Arrange potato slices on sides similar to pictures above.
- Stuff garlic and shallots in between potato slices in pan.
- Evenly drizzle melted butter on potato slices.
- Sprinkle slices with chopped rosemary, thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown and crispy on top.