Welp, if you guy’s haven’t heard…
Luke and I officially set a date for our wedding! December 23rd, 2017. It’s going to be an small, intimate wedding with close family and friends at his parent’s house in good ol’ Seminole, FL.
Although we’re cutting a huge cost from not booking at a venue, we’re still paying for the wedding out of our own pockets, so I have a feeling this next year will be one of budget-friendly healthy recipes. Who doesn’t want to save a little while still eating delicious, healthy food. :)
I know there have been a lot of soup/stew recipes up here lately, but we’re taking full advantage of the weather being somewhat cool down here in Florida and being able to enjoy these types of foods. Today we’ve got simple carrot coconut soup that I threw together in all of 20 minutes. No joke! This is a very easy and light dish to put together.
This recipe is also jam-packed full of the flu-fighting foods like ginger and turmeric to keep you healthy from whatever has been going around the office. For a little extra substance, I would probably serve this with a salad on the side or maybe some steamed rice. I’m sure red lentils would be an excellent addition as well!
Carrot Ginger Coconut Soup
1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10-12 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 pieces of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 inches of ginger, peeled roughly chopped
- 1 in fresh turmeric, peeled
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Juice from 2 oranges
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Unsweetened shredded coconut (optional for garnish)
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat. When melted, add carrots and celery. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until celery starts to turn a brighter green.
- Add cooked celery and carrots to high powered blender. Add water, broth, ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add carrot blend back to soup pot. Add orange juice and coconut milk. Top with unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)