Happy New Year everyone! Luke and I have had an incredible week of holiday family time, working from home, and enjoying some beautiful Florida weather. While most of social media is complaining about how much 2016, for lack of a better term, sucked, I'll have to admit 2016 was an incredible year for us.
Here are some of our highlights:
- First and foremost, we got engaged! We've set a date for Dec. 23, 2017.
- We had not 1, but 2 family members kick cancer's ass. Suck it, cancer!
- Luke became an art director.
- We ran 2 marathons and 2 half marathons – one of which was a PR for Sam.
- We moved to downtown St. Petersburg, FL and into a sweet apartment.
- And after losing our entire first blog, we rebranded ourselves into this blog, Kale Yeah, It's Vegan.
After all these amazing things that happened in 2016, we've got a few things we want to accomplish in 2017.
Here are some of my (Sam's) 2017 goals:
- Get married, duh!
- Continue to learn and grow with web design. I've been doing this by learning a program called Web Flow and participating in a daily user interface design challenge. You can check that out here: http://samanthawilley.com/new-page/
- Read 12 books. Got a head start with Selling the Invisible and Food Writing Volume 16
- Run more and lift weights. As runners, we often neglect strength training to get faster.
- Continue blogging at least 1 time a week.
- Let Luke know how much I love him everyday. (Aw!)
- And many more, but you guys get the idea.
Let us know your 2017 goals!
Black-eyed peas and greens soup
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 24-32 oz canned black-eyed peas
- 3 tbsp worsteshire sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
1. Saute onions and peppers in coconut oil until soften.
2. Add garlic. Saute 30 secs.
3. Add collard greens, black-eyed peas, water, and veg broth.
4. Add spices.
5. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 min. Enjoy!