Wow! Where to begin? This last month has been sort of a whirlwind of events.
First of all – We are officially Chicagoans!
Luke and I sold the Prius, packed up all our belongings into a Uhaul and made the cross country trip from Florida to our new home in Logan Square.
There are so many amazing vegetarian and vegan friendly restaurants up here! It’s like…foodie overload. Pretty much every restaurant I’ve looked up so far has something for vegans or can be easily modified.
Anythingand everything you could ever want to try is here:
- Craving some pizza with homemade cashew ricotta? Paulie Gee’s is just less than a mile up the road.
- Need some serious vegan comfort food? The Chicago Diner is 0.3 miles away and serves up portobello truffle fries with a Teese cheese dipping sauce that is to.die.for.
- Fixin’ for some Ramen? Yeah, Wasabi is .25 miles from us complete with vegan soy sauce and smokey grilled eggplant.
- Oh, and don’t count out those late night taco joints serving up giant chunky avocado tacos loading with fresh veggies and cilantro at 1am.
Fresh produce is abundant in the bodegas around us, which means less schlepping around a granny cart full of groceries on public transit. Of course, there is an incredible Korean grocery store just 2 CTA stops north in case I need to get some Asian produce.
Let’s talk avocado toast for a sec – oh yeah, another blogger doing avocado toast. Well, that’s because it’s f’in delicious and this is a little different in case you want to switch up your routine. This combination includes bread drizzled and pan toasted in more olive oil, then smothered in mashed avocado and lime juice, seasoned with cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper, and finally topped with fresh vegetables like radishes, cherry tomatoes, and sprouts. Hey – I didn’t say this was a healthy avocado toast. Following the pictures, it’s pretty straight forward and I’m sure you’ve made your fair share of avo toast, so I won’t get into all the details. But, we hope you try this out and if you make it, take a picture and tag it #kaleyeahitsvegan so we can check it out!
All in all we’re very excited to be here and can’t wait to share our adventures with you. :)
1 small fresh french baguette sliced into 1 inch thick slices
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large lime
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of chili powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 3-4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts or radish sprouts
- Drizzle sliced bread with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add bread slices. Flip over when pan side is golden brown. Work in batches, careful not to overcrowd pan. I find that 5-6 slices in a medium pan works. Set aside cooked slices on a cookie sheet or large plate.
- In a medium bowl, scoop ripe avocado in a bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and mash with a fork until desired smoothness. Add salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Evenly divide avocado mixture on toasted bread slices. About 1-2 tbsp per slice should do the trick.
- Combine smoked paprika, cumin, and chili powder. Sprinkle mixture on avocado toast.
- Top with radishes, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, and chopped cilantro.